Time

California Iowa Washington Jeddah

Saturday, May 7, 2011

Two Weeks Down

Well it's been two weeks now, and I'm more familiar with writing cables, Employee Evaluation Reports, T&A (no... Time and Attendance).  I've learned more about myself and playing nicely in the sandbox.  We were introduced to the diverse cultures out in the world and the Embassy as well as the diverse missions to the international community.  All in all this was a pretty good week.  I've still got a bit of home work to finish, but there's always tomorrow right. 

So today our class is having a barbecue, another opportunity to build relationships that will most likely stay with us throughout our careers.  I am really reminiscent of military life, the similarities of common goals, experiences and hardships brings people together in a very unique way. 

So where will the Foreign Service need me after training?  Heck I don't know yet :(  But... Tuesday May 10th, is Flag Day.  We will be called up individually and given the flag of the nation we will be going to.  We've all turned in our "Wish Lists" and are just waiting on the powers to be to assign us where we are needed.  Did you catch the fact that our wish list doesn't really impact where we will be posted?  In reality, we've all had one-on-one meetings with our Career Development Officer (CDO) and after those discussions, It seems that many of us have aligned our lists to reflect the conversations we had.  Regardless of where we are assigned, we will all be serving our nation and doing our part.
This weekend I think I will try to head out to the Mall and be a tourist.  There is so much history here and so little time to take it all in. 

No comments:

Post a Comment