Time

California Iowa Washington Jeddah

Saturday, July 14, 2012

Survey Says!!!

Yes, after a lot of anticipation and researching where we would like to go and checking out schools, we finally received our "unofficial" notice of where our next duty station will be.  And I got to say we maintain an open invitation to any one that wants to come visit.  Now that we have our assignment, we are looking closer at the school options for Crystal and the working opportunities for Jolene.  This is a much smaller post than Moscow, that is one of the main things the assignment officer tries to do.  If you were at a big post most likely, you next with be small and vice-verse.  Though not always the case as we have one friend that is going from a small post in Chengdu, China to a small embassy in Suva.  Suva you ask?  Fiji islands in the middle of the Pacific.  I think he's willing to take in visitors too.  (We might have to go visit him there.)

Hard to believe that this time next year we'll probably already be back in the States on home leave and a few short weeks after that in training in DC then off to. . .  Wow I guess I have said where we are going yet.  I know some of my colleagues already know.  You know I'm not sure who's taking my slot here, though I don't know who all the bidders are, some of us are keep each other up on our assignments through an online spreadsheet.  Pretty handy actually, it was really interesting to see where people were wanting to go and what they were planning on bidding on.

Okay, I'm done rambling, back to our posting . . . Well here are some pictures, scroll down slowly and see if you can figure it out before  you get to the bottom.








So a city by water













and a city by the desert















with some resorts


















and some restrictions on 
what women can wear



















SCUBA
















more SCUBA.  
We all plan on getting certified to dive while here















Got it yet?
































9 comments:

  1. Wow looks like we got our first "Boo!" on the ratings. We are looking forward to this next post. Being in the Foreign Service is like anything else, it has it's good and bad points. We are looking forward to experiencing someplace that very few Americans ever will. And as far as "crappy" posts go this one is far from the top of that list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never used the word crappy. You did. I just said "boo" because it is in the desert. And a pretty hostile part of the world too I might add. I guess you are correct about the part about experiencing something few Americans have.

      Delete
    2. Sorry didn't mean to imply you said crapy, I just meant in the grand scheme of things this one isn't the worst place we could go.

      Delete
  2. There's a 'yay!' for ya. I'm glad you guys are excited for your next post! I'm looking forward to reading more about your adventures while I prepare for my OA and (hopefully) starting mine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck on your OA. Hope to see you around sometime.

      Delete
    2. Good luck on your OA. Hope to see you around sometime.

      Delete
  3. YAY on your Posting. I was in DC in march with your wife, Jolene, taking the IMS OA. I passed and am waiting on my security clearance, which is taking a long time due to extensive travel overseas, living currently overseas and married to a non-american. I hope to make it to an IMS orientation in 2013. Best of luck on your new adventure in the middle east.
    Caroline

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck, if you have any questions feel free to reach out to me mwalls88 at gmail.

      Delete
  4. Thanks Mike. The waiting is stressful. I keep envisioning my clearance taking up to a year after stories I have heard. I'm hoping 2013 will be the year it happens.

    ReplyDelete