Time

California Iowa Washington Jeddah

Friday, December 16, 2011

False Start

Okay a couple weeks ago, the skies were grey and snow was falling, everything was white with a light coating of snow.  I though this was the beginning of those cold snowy Russian winters everyone teased me about when I told them we were going to Russia for two years.  But we've lived in Iowa for the last eight years and in upstate New York for a few years before that.  Cold snowy winters were nothing new to us.  We made sure we had all our scarfs, gloves, snow pants, etc.  We were ready as we could be.  Jolene was waiting on a long coat, but that's another story...  It really is beautiful here and when the virgin snow is on everything it's doubly so.  We were told that they really didn't get big snow storms here but more of a constant accumulation of snow from day after day snow showers.

BUT what we got was snow showers at night and mid 30's during the day.  So needless to say, the snow was there in the morning, but after work, it had melted away.  And now the last two days have been nothing but rain.  Needless to say the beauty of the white snow was replaced by grey/black water that makes all cars filthy and gets tracked in when you come home.  Anyway, we're still waiting for winter to come.  We are still officially in autumn so we'll see what winter actually brings.

As grey and dismal it is and the lack of sunlight can be a bit depressing, but it still is very awesome to experience this new land.  I'm really looking forward to getting pictures of Red Square covered in snow.  Hope I get the chance.

Let see, I started this blog talking about the trials and tribulations of applying to the Foreign Service.  So I'm sure an update on work is long over due.  Let see I love my job and my co-workers are pretty cool too.  Now that we've been in country for just over 3 months you may wonder if I have any regrets.  Well just one, I wish I did this 10 years ago!  The work is challenging at times and there are some long hours.  But working at the embassy is pretty cool.  And to be in a country when historic event happen are kinda humbling.  The election protests here are peaceful enough but to be so close to everything is awesome.

Well till next time.   До свидания!

No comments:

Post a Comment